ToolsVenture CapitalModeling

Tactyc

How to use Tactyc to build, manage and strategize venture portfolio models.

Tactyc Venture Manager is a web app to build, manage and strategize venture portfolio models. The tool enables managers to:

  • Build a portfolio construction model and share it with potential LP’s in minutes,
  • Update model with actual investments and evaluate actual vs. projected variance
  • Create multiple exit scenarios for each investment

Venture Manager aims to give managers insights into their portfolio performance and help with follow-on decisions. By enabling managers to continually update their model with real investments, the tool can highlight significant deviations from plan, the reasons behind it and strategies for the manager to course correct fund performance.

A key feature of the platform is the ability to build multiple performance cases for each investment that are probabilistic (for e.g. an upside case at 20% probability and an underwrite case at 80% probability). The tool automatically builds future exit projections for each investment to forecast expected fund returns. One of the recent features added to the platform is also the ability to project and track operating metrics such as subscribers, ARR, MRR etc. for each investment to determine how a company is performing - which in turn can help define performance cases for the investment.

How to use

Here’s how to get started:

  • Go to Tactyc Venture Manager and click on “Start your Fund” to sign up.
  • After signup a free 15 day trial will automatically commence.

You can also schedule a demo with the founder directly here →

Comparing Foresight to Tactyc

Foresight provides a range of free and paid tools primarily built in spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets) to help you create portfolio construction models, fund budgeting and capital deployment planning, and performance projections and analyses for venture capital funds and angel investing portfolios.

Just as I've worked to update the financial model templates over time to make them better for users, I've always worked towards my larger goal in helping people understand how to build financial models to make meaningful business decisions, using any model they are using, across spreadsheets and web apps.

Tactyc lets fund managers build and share portfolio construction models with potential limited partners, update their models with actual investments, evaluate actual vs. projected variance, and scenario plan individual investment.

Should you use a spreadsheet or a web app?

I don’t believe it’s an either/or choice between spreadsheets and web apps. There are situations and stages in a fund’s growth where spreadsheets are sufficient, or are better for specific analyses, and there are situations where web tools can provide a better user experience for building models and evaluating perfornace. Finance is just beginning to see an explosion of tools and platforms long-available for product development, design, collaboration, and HR, and I’m excited to see and participate in the innovation in the space.

More practical how-to's and example models to model venture funds at How to Model a Venture Capital Fund →